Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cason's B-day

Cason turned 3-years old. Wow, it is so hard to believe. He was born March 22, 2004. He was actually supposed to be born 2 days earlier. I was scheduled to be induced, and all of our family came to town. The night I was supposed to go in, the hospital called and said there were no beds available and to call back the next day. This went on for 2 days. Our families were sitting in my living room staring at me, waiting for me to give birth. They fed me spicy food, took be for long walks, anything they could think of. At least once an hour, my dad would say, "You call that hospital back and tell them you are coming in to have that baby". I was sure glad when they finally said there was room. I actually went in the night before, so that they could give me medicine to make me dilate. They also gave me sleeping medicine. It was great! I actually got a good nights sleep, and got away from all of the family, for a mini-vacation before the big day.

That next day, they induced labor. After they broke my water, I was ready for the epidural. All was well. At least until I started feeling a lot of pain. I realized I could move one of my legs and had complete feeling on that side of my body. Well, there wasn't really much they could do at that point, because I was ready to push. I started flipping out (not my best moment). With Landon, I had to push for about 3 hours, so the thought of enduring another 3 hours in that much pain freaked me out. The nurse told be to give a practice push. Then started yelling for me to stop. She held her hand on his head to keep him in. The doctor ran in the door, with no time to put anything on other than a mask, and caught Cason as he came flying out. Cason weighed 8 lbs 3 oz and was 21 inches long.

Cason is our middle-child. And probably the most strong willed of the three. But he can also be the sweetest, most helpful, and most loving. He plays with his little sister, helps fold the laundry, helps cook dinner, etc. Cason is also the most shy of the three. He goes to soccer and practices with Landon's team. He is actually probably one of the best players out there (yes, he is even better than his big brother). He is quite the little athlete. He has had a knack for throwing from an early age. When he was less than a year old, he threw a bottle and hit Todd's grandmother right in the head! I thought he was going to knock her out! Luckily, she was OK. Todd thinks he would make a good baseball player.

This past year in Cason's life has been an interesting one. He barely talked a year ago. In November we started potty training. Which was very difficult given how strong willed he is. This past December, Cason and Landon were rough housing and they fell and Cason hit his foot on the coffee table. He ended up breaking it in several places! He crawled for about a week, before he was able to walk using the boot. He is all healed now, but it was a major set back in the potty training department. I am so glad that as we celebrate his 3rd Birthday, he is potty trained and talking well. I am sure this next year will bring much more excitement!

No comments: