Saturday, February 3, 2007

Non-Scrapbookers Anonymous

I have a confession to make...I do not scrapbook. I know, I know...I am a failure as a mom. I have a lot of friends who scrapbook and an overzealous sister-in-law who is convinced she can convert me into being a scrapbooker. But, I have no desire. I would like the final product, but I don't enjoy the process (which is the key according to my scrapbooking sources). There is a secret society of scrapbookers. They get together religiously and have their secret parties. Some even go on scrapbooking retreats. This all sounds a bit cult-ish to me. I am even a little suspicious of this whole Blog thing because it is rather scrapbook-like. But since it takes very little time, no real commitment, does not cost a cent or make a mess, I have decided that it may be a good alternative.

I was sitting with a group of my good friends at playgroup when I first came out of the closet. "I do not scrapbook!" I waited to see the look of disgust on their faces or the sound of judgement in their voices, even perhaps a sigh of pity at the thought of my children with no scrapbook of their childhood. But instead I got an overwhelming sigh of relief..."I don't scrapbook either", one said. "Neither do I", said another. At that moment, I realized that we were kindred spirits. Oh, how I enjoyed being able to talk with other moms, great mom's whom I respected, who don't scrapbook. Until one day, we lost one of our own. My dear friend Taffy came to me with a confession..."I have started scrapbooking again" she said. I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. Then, she ripped out my heart by adding, "And I really like it". So, there is an opening in our non-scapbookers anonymous group...Want to join????

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Hey... Thanks so much for stopping by last night! It was soooo good to see you guys. We will have to plan to meet again SOON! I don't scrapbook either. I am doing good just to get my house clean, laundry done and a few pics snapped on my digitial camera in the middle of basketball, ballet, school,etc... so I am with you on this one... no to scrapbooking, but YES to blogging! love ya......

Shelley said...

KARA... I check in all the time! I am ready for a new post!!!!!!!!! love ya... Shel